Thursday, October 4, 2007

Symbol of America

UPDATE For Clarification: Wearing or not wearing a Flag Pin does not make anyone more or less a true patriot. But to stop wearing a Flag Pin because of someone else's perceived attitude is a show of naivety. It is the sign of a Follower, not a Leader.

If someone were to ask you to name one item which is the best representation of America, what would that symbol be? To me it is our American Flag, which is the reason it is featured so prominently on this Blog. Apparently that is not the case for Senator Barack Obama according to this AP article (Obama Stops Wearing Flag Pin).
Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama says he no longer wears an American flag lapel pin because it has become a substitute for "true patriotism" since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
I am sure that there are some who take a flag pin for granted, but I do not understand how our flag can become a substitute for "true patriotism". Our Flag is the most recognized symbol of our way of life, our freedom and our country. It cannot become a substitute for anything else.

On my left hand, I proudly wear a gold band as the most recognized symbol of my marriage, even though it too can be a substitute for "true feelings".
"My attitude is that I'm less concerned about what you're wearing on your lapel than what's in your heart. You show your patriotism by how you treat your fellow Americans, especially those who serve. You show your patriotism by being true to our values and ideals. That's what we have to lead with is our values and our ideals." [emphasis mine]
Those who serve salute our flag because it is the symbol of the country they serve. It is true that what's in your heart is important, but so is the visible outward symbol of your patriotism exemplified by a lapel flag pin. The sincerity of some other person should not prevent me from proudly displaying a flag pin as a recognizable symbol of my True Patriotism.

The clothes I choose to wear to an event makes a statement about me long before I reveal my Heart by opening my mouth. A lapel flag pin is the American Symbol which functions in much the same way.

Free Clipart

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

No comments: