The believers claim that burning wood or fossil fuels (coal, oil and gas) produces Carbon Dioxide (CO2) which is a Greenhouse Gas. They want everyone to stop producing CO2 by using renewable energy resources such as solar and wind as a replacement for primarily fossil fuels. To this end, the believers want to use the power of the Government to Legislate how our energy is produced. This is an expensive cure.
The skeptics maintain that CO2 is not a significant source of Global Warming. Therefore to the skeptic, the expensive retro fitting of Power Plants and Industry are not going to have a significant effect on Global Warming, but will add a very significant cost factor to almost everything we buy and/or manufacture. Because of this increased cost, industrialized nations of the world will suffer greatest. Greater because jobs will be outsourced and utility bills higher with unemployment very much higher.
To the believer it is simple. Renewable energy sources are free and therefore will be cheap and green. The truth is these renewable sources will be unbelievably expensive. Expensive because:
- they are not very efficient energy producers
- components are very expensive to manufacture and install
- the present electrical grid will be very expensive to expand and interconnect to the renewable sources
- they are not able to adjust to rapid changes in demand
- there is no efficient energy storage method