Friday, December 21, 2007

Global Warming Question

My Global Warming Question at TCSDaily asks the question which is also on my mind.
I am not a skeptic about the rise in average temperatures. Nor am I skeptical that the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has been increasing. However, I remain skeptical about the connection between the two.

My question is this:

what are the most persuasive reasons for believing that the rise in temperature is due to increased atmospheric carbon dioxide? [emphasis in original]
The answer to that question is the crux of the arguments about Global Climate Change. At this point, neither Dr. Kling nor I have encountered the persuasive reasons for the connection.

The author of this article is Arnold Kling. Dr. Kling holds a Ph.D. in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Bio). Dr. Kling and I have almost identical views on Global Warming.
I am worried about climate change. In one respect, I may be more worried than other people. I am worried because I have very little confidence that we know what is causing it. One of my fears is that we could reduce carbon emissions by some drastic amount, only to discover that--oops--it turns out that climate change is being caused by something else.
As you read this article, Dr. Kling gives several examples of Scientific and Economic Theories for which the facts overwhelmingly support the Theory. Dr. Kling and I agree that no such factual data has been assembled to overwhelmingly support one position over the other.

There are about the same number of arguments on each side, and on both sides it appears the opposition would rather attack the author of a dissenting opinion rather than the facts the study author presents. This is emotion, not Scientific Research. For those of you who are old enough to remember Jack Webb's "Dragnet" the common phrase Jack used is appropriate here. "Just the facts Madam, Just the facts."

Read the article and if you can, and as Dr. Kling asks, send him an e-mail with your facts. I would also appreciate a copy too. (E-mail me here Murky Research)

No comments: